Sunday, April 19, 2009

ROME

My flight to Newark airport was delayed; enough that I had to move to the front of the airplane as we landed, so I could sprint off the plane to make my connecting flight. A shuttle ride and another security check point later, I skidded to a stop in front of my gate as the Lady said, "You must be Amy Walton." In all that panicked running, it never occurred to me to turn on my phone, so I missed the three phone calls telling me that Shane and Dave would be late to pick me up in Milan. I only waited 45 minutes though before they found me and we headed to the train station. Unfortunately all the trains to Rome that day were full. We could only purchase tickets for standing room only. So for the next four hours we stood/sat on the floor next to the train bathrooms. Initial impressions of Italy were that it was rather unremarkable. Milan is like any modern city, billboards and graffiti, business men and bums.
Rome reminded me very much of London with its cobbles stone streets and tiny cars… a perfect juxtaposition of ancient, ornate buildings with a giant Hyundai ad hanging off the side. We checked into our hotel and then headed straight for the Coliseum. We walked around the forum (we never did find the entrance) and then headed to Trevi Fountain.
That night I had the best Penne Carbonara I’ve ever had, but the worst gelato. The next morning, we headed to Vatican City. We didn’t really know if we were going to go in, but pretty soon we found ourselves buying a guided tour. Dang salesman! It was cool to see inside the Vatican (it’s crazy how much art work they have in there), but I could have done that tour in half the time. Then we would have had time to see the Pantheon, but as it was, we went to the train station and hopped on a train to Cinque Terre.

Dave and I waiting for our Vatican City Tour to start.

Piazza de Venezia

6 comments:

Elisha and Scott said...

Looks awesome Amy. Can't wait to get the rest of the details.

Unknown said...

I love it!
More! More!
I know you have about 1,992 more photos...

Mom said...

Thats a great start! Love to see those pictures and hear all the details.

Lisa said...

Oh, I'm so glad you posted. I'm sure it was an amazing trip. Love the fountain picture. Sorry I was napping during your Seattle layover! Happy Birthday week!!!!

The Seaquist Family said...

Oh what a great trip. Can't wait to see/hear about the rest. Oh and did I mention that I'm jealous...

Elisa said...

oh oh oh oh!!! I love it. I love Rome! It looks like so much fun!