Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Siena


We arrived at our “camp ground” in Siena in the evening. It was more like a little trailer and it was perfect. Two rooms a kitchen and a bathroom. Shane was staying at Dave’s apartment, so the girls had the place to themselves. We settled in and took a taxi into downtown Siena. I had no idea what to expect of Siena, so I could barely contain my excitement as the taxi sped through narrow, twisted cobblestone streets and ended up in a massive open town square. It was love at first sight. Siena is where the opening scene of Quantum of Solace takes place so we made sure to watch it while we were there. We found a restaurant and I ordered a “Typical Tuscan soup” which looked like green mush you might feed to poor little orphans but tasted amazing. I couldn't identify anything in it. The menu indicated that it came with bread, but when I asked about my missing bread the waiter just told me it was in my soup. So I guess that's one of the ingredients. The next day we wandered into town to find that everything was closed. We had some difficulty locating breakfast. “Oh it’s Easter Monday,” I said. They all laughed at me as if I had made it up. “Easter Monday!! I suppose tomorrow will be Easter Tuesday!” Americans! (Amy shakes her head). Thank goodness we found a bike rental place that was open. We rented some bikes and headed out of town in search of picturesque Tuscan hills. We rode down and down and down, all the while wondering if we were going to be capable of riding back up at the end. Eventually we found what we were looking for; a beautiful country road.

We ate lunch in a small town and then began our grueling trip back up to Siena. I’m proud to say I made it, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel it for the next four days. Give me a break. I haven’t ridden a bike since I was about 14.

We crashed in Dave’s apartment for a little while and watched some Italian Soap operas making our own translations, then we went out took some pictures at Il Campo and ordered some pizza. We crashed early that night to prepare for an early morning in Florence.

3 comments:

Brian Foster Walton said...

Oh my fudgesicle sticks Amy! This looks like so much fun!!

Lisa said...

I love Siena. Beautiful. The panoramas look great. Are they 3 horizontal pictures? I want to learn how to do that. Love all the bike riding pictures -- especially the last one with the bikes. Sorry if you were sore but the pictures were worth it, right?

Unknown said...

I love your panoramic shots! Your pictures make me want to be there. Right now.
I don't think I could do the bikes though...