Saturday, April 25, 2009

Venice


The next morning came early (3:30) again, but at this point we were of the mind that you can always recover when the vacation is over. We wanted to be in Venice before it got crowded. That was definitely one of the smartest things we did all trip. When we got off the train, the Venice merchants weren’t even out yet. We headed straight for St. Mark’s Square (which is a considerable walk along narrow alleys, over bridges, and through tunnels.) Really, that city is a mess. Where were the city planners on that one? They really could have used a Brigham Young to set up a grid system. Actually, it would have been really fun to have a race from Mark’s Square to the train station. No two people would have gone the same way and I can imagine that some of us would have been lost in that maze for hours. We could have had our own little Amazing Race right there in Venice. Venice was just as poetic and romantic as I had hoped. I had to stop at every little bridge to take a picture. To add to the romance, we took a gondola ride through the waterways. If only I’d had someone to kiss under the bridge over the Grand Canal. Maybe next time.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Please tell me you bought that fancy mask?

Venice is gorgeous! Great photos. :)

Sarah Walton said...

I've always wanted to go to Venice . . . . it looks amazing. Your trip all sounds so fun Amy!! And you have so many great pictures.

Lisa said...

I'm so glad you did the gondola ride. Seems like that is a must for Italy. PS: I love your writing.

elisha said...

Grrrrrrrreat pictures. Thanks for sharing. See you this weekend

Mike Walton said...

They are all nice, but my favorite is the third one from the bottom. Love it.