Monday, November 16, 2009

Pinewood Derby Domination

Introducing the Flying Wunderbar!

We had a Ward No-Rules Pinewood Derby on Thursday and you're looking at the Derby dominator right here.
Actually, there were a few rules:
No open flames
No interfering with any other car's progress
No touching the cars once the gates have dropped

So Amy and I came up with this little gem. We simply tied rubber bands together to make a 40 ft. bungy, attached the center to the front of the car and the ends to the finish line. When those gates dropped... well, I'll let you watch the video. Pretty much we were in a category of our own, and since this event was pretty much my baby, Amy and I started to feel really bad that no one else even had a chance. Our car was passed the finish line before any other car had moved an inch. We eventually took the elastics off and raced our car on the wheels that we had hastily hammered in purely for asthetics. Needless to say, it lost the next two races but still secured us the bronze metal.
The whole event was really fun and well attended.

Every time we would race, Amy would take the car up to the gates and I would secure the rubber bands on a chair just beyond the finish line. Then I would put these goggles on and give her the thumbs up when we were ready to launch. In retrospect, I think a catcher's mitt and mask would have been funnier.

2 comments:

Jacob Jenne said...

it's better than i imagined. well played... and such sportsmanship to boot.

Sarah Walton said...

Oh my gosh, that is soooo funny!! Was that your idea, Amy? So clever.