Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Exploring SunRidge Hills

I went for a brisk exploratory walk after work today to investigate my new neighborhood and the mountain it sits on. My apartment is in the closest building in the photo. The mountain goes straight up from there. There are a series of bike paths up on the mountain that were quite populated with mountain bikers, dirt bikers, and runners.
As I was hiking along the path I almost stepped on this guy. Probably the largest snake I have ever seen in the wild. It was easily longer than my wing-span. Since snakes give me the heeby-jeebies I immediately retreated to a safe distance (about a quarter of a mile) and then worked up the courage to sneak back to snap a photo. So breathing heavily, and constantly glancing over my shoulder or up into the trees (like snakes would be sneaking up behind me or ambushing me from above), I brought myself carefully within eight feet of the creature. That's pretty good for me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Amy. It's hard to tell it's size from that photo so we'll take your word for it. That is very cool. What a nice view too. Looks like a great place.

The Seaquist Family said...

YOU MOVED! To an area with snakes? :) Looks like a great area to be in. Hope you like your new place. I'd love to hear about it.

Elisa said...

wow, I bet you were wishing for a different lense so you could get that from a distance!

Anonymous said...

Much braver than I would be. I would've screamed and ran as fast as I could the opposite direction never looking back! How fun to have hiking so close! We want to hear all about super-cute Sunday too.

The Kyles said...

Hey, I hate snakes! I'm glad I wasn't with you that day! How are things going? we need to hang out and I want to see your new place! :D

Sarah Walton said...

Looks like a great place Amy! Are you all settled in? I hope moving went smoothly. Did you find all the furniture you needed? Post a pic of your room sometime when it's all ready.

Lisa said...

Am, the pictures of your neighborhood look cute! - wow, seeing a snake would easily have driven me off that mountain for good. I can't wait to hear all the latest... keep posting!