Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Grand Rapids


We spent Sunday in Grand Rapids.  We met Mike and Lauren at church and then went to the Meijer Botanical Gardens and Sculpture Park.  It was beautiful.  They had a huge atrium with climate controlled gardens where you could see a desert plants, a victorian garden, and a tropical forest.  My favorite was the carnivores room.  It was kind of creepy reading about all these plants and how they lure prey and catch them.  I kept thinking one of them was going reach out and grab me all the sudden.  
  







We really enjoyed wandering around and commenting on the various sculptures.  They had an excellent children’s area with play fountains in the shape of the Great Lakes.  It made me really excited for when Jane is old enough to enjoy that. 



That's a really big horse.






Excitedly clapping.


Sinking in the grass.







I love Dale Chihuly's work.  They had a couple of his pieces there.
On our way out of Grand Rapids, we stopped at the Meyer home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.  Impressive 70s architecture.


2 comments:

Elisha and Scott said...

I've been to Grand Rapids ;-). Great pictures.

Unknown said...

I love it all! Especially the ice cream pictures- those are great! I love Amish Country! Also, Jane has really cute clothes.