Friday, September 7, 2007

Darby Caves

Two steps into the Darby Ice caves and it goes from scorching hot to freezing cold. Pretty soon we realized though, that it might not be cold enough. Mike, who has done the Darby Ice Caves before informed us that the pool of ice water in front of us was supposed to be our frozen path. Since Mike was the only one with an extra pair of shoes, he carried each of us through the water to where it was fully frozen on the other side. Once through, we continued our journey sliding down the slick ice trail, knocking each other over, and bouncing off of walls. After a short rappel down an ice wall we decided that we really didn't have enough time to do the entire cave. So Mike somehow scrambled back up the ice wall and Travis locked me into the rope at the bottom. "I'm ready!" I called to Scott and Mike above me and before I had any kind of footing, I was slammed against the wall and dragged up the slippery surface. Thanks guys.
We decided to enter the the cave that we would have exited from and just explore the many cavities. It was a blast, and not near as cold as the ice cave portion.

I think I chose the most awkward place to try and turn around.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Love the one of you turning around!