Monday, July 12, 2010

Pleiades

 I have been wanting to take Chris canyoneering with me, but thrice my plans have been thwarted.  Chris even started to question the existence of these so called "slot canyons".  Well, he got his fill this weekend starting with Pleiades with water flowing at an "advanced/expert" level.  Perfect for a first timer.  Fortunately, with his natural athletic ability and coordination, I had no worries at all about his capabilities... and since he had absolutely no idea what to expect, he wasn't even nervous.  I was nervous, though.  I could tell from the moment my wool socks filled with that icy water, that this was going to be an adventure. Rappelling down a waterfall flowing that fast adds an element of uncertainty.  I'm used to being able to see where I plant my foot.  This time, you could never be sure which step was going to slide right through the white water into a cave behind. You'd unclip underneath and then sprint out through the falls to whatever sunshine you could find.

The craziest rappel is where all the water funnels into this narrow channel (below), too wide and slippery to stem above.  You just had to go as fast as you could straight through it while the force of the water slammed you against the rocks.  I made it most of the way pretty well until right at the end I got flipped around and pushed up against the rock.  I slid on my back down the side and into the pool at the bottom.  Probably, the sloppiest looking rappel ever.  When I stood up dizzy and disoriented (as every looks as they exit that rappel) I noticed something was wrong.  I couldn't place it at first since my foot was so numb.  Then I realized the water hand blasted off my shoe.  It was floating in the pool nearby.

You can barely see Chris getting pummeled by the water in the photo below.

After the chute, we huddled as a group waiting for the rope to come to set up the next rappel.  The water was SO cold, and everything hurt so badly, I couldn't help but laugh at everyone doing squats and swinging their arms around to keep blood flowing.  We do this for fun, right?  This is Chris coming out of the last rappel. I can't even describe how great it was get out of that miserable waiting area and into the 95 degree weather again.

3 comments:

David and Mary Walton said...

Wow, those are amazing and crazy places to rapell. Thanks for posting those. It woud be alot more fun if the water weren't soooo cold.

Krisser said...

You're nuts! It looks like so much fun- I love seeing these pics of you my Amy-Lou

Lisa said...

Seriously, nervousness and freezing cold water in wool socks... sounds like a party. How did Chris like his first slot canyon adventure?