Monday, May 16, 2011

Up Ding Down Dang

 We had hoped to do Coyote Gulch this weekend (an overnight slot canyon hike) but when that fell through, our quick back up plan was Goblin Valley, Ding and Dang canyons and Little Wild Horse.
8 of us headed down Friday night and camped just outside Goblin Valley.  It was a prefect night.  Not too hot or cold with a moon so bright we never had to use a flashlight.  Of course, that just gets annoying when you actually want to get some sleep, but we managed.  In the morning we set off to do Ding and Dang.  The plan was to go ascend Ding canyon and descend Dang canyon.  We got up Ding just fine, but had a little trouble locating the drop in for Dang.  We took a wrong turn down another canyon we named Dong and then finally got back on track.  The weather was nice for hiking and it just felt so great to be down in Southern Utah.
I decided to just shoot with my 12-24 lens.  I haven't spent very much time with that lens so I thought this might be some good quality bonding time.  We were on great terms for the first half of the day, but I don't know what went wrong later on.  I guess I still have a lot to figure out.
















Little Wild Horse Canyon is pretty sweet, but SO CROWDED.  I felt like I was in line at an amusement park sometimes waiting to get through a narrow section.  It's long and gorgeous on pretty level ground, so it appeals to all ages and skill levels.  We just did a few miles of the good part and then turned back.




I have always wanted to go to Goblin Valley, maybe more to check it off my Utah list than anything else.  I just wanted to see it.  This was the perfect trip to tack it onto the end of.  We were all so tired of walking/hiking by the time we got there, that we just wandered for a few minutes, took some pictures and then got back in the cars.




2 comments:

Dan said...

Looks like fun. I love Goblin Valley; did it as a day trip once with Mike. A lot of driving, but a fun place to hike around.

David and Mary Walton said...

Great pictures. Love those last two poses. Those are cool formations.